Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Minnesota

Oh the irony of checking in with a past student while the office soundtrack was for Mason Jennings, and my only album of his was "Minnesota." Sometimes, being away from Minnesota is hard. I am away from a number of people that I love! And while I'm completely immersed in the work I am doing here, I still try to keep in mind the people who touched my life in my work in Northfield last year. 

In the past week, one of the students I worked with some last year, who has a good heart, did something stupid and got arrested, and another told me about how he is trying to save up money for college, but it's hard on $7 an hour. He still told me he hopes to go back to school, asked me what schools are like in Arizona, and told me to stay smart and safe.

I told him, "You have a huge heart and inspire me. I hope people can see your heart in whatever you do!"

"Thank you. Means a lot from you, like I said before you're one of the smartest people I know."

Even though I am away in Arizona, Northfield's TORCH program and its amazing students are still in my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment