Thursday, June 17, 2010

Setting out to experience the world...

I believe in voice. I believe that focusing too much on the future can hurt a person’s chances for happiness in the present. I believe in equality. I believe in staring out the window into a Minnesota blizzard while snuggled deep within blankets. I believe in hot chocolate—with marshmallows. I believe also in tennis on a warm summer day. I believe that every person has a unique type of inner strength that can be exhibited.

I believe in the attraction of water. I believe in community. I believe in singing loudly and dancing vibrantly—even when nobody is around. I believe in playing ping-pong with my dad for a study break. I believe in untidy organization. I believe in setting goals for myself and giving my best effort to achieve them. I believe in staying up all night with best friends at a cabin to see the sun rise. I believe that technology and progress are not always the best thing for humanity.

I believe in using the natural alternative whenever possible. I believe in nonviolence. I believe that the array of resources controlled by the United States should aid humanity rather than tear it apart. I believe in warm blankets straight from the dryer. I believe in recycling.

I believe in family. I believe in furry pets. I believe in pushing back bedtime to console a hurting friend. I believe in listening. I believe in occasional spontaneity. I believe in running through sprinklers to get relief from mosquitoes and summer weather.

I believe in trying new things and experiencing different cultures. I believe in learning other languages to see the beauty in other ways of thinking and living. I believe in Spanish siestas so family lunches are possible. I believe in volunteering to shovel our steep driveway simply so I can dance in the falling snow while listening to my Latin music. I believe in the necessity of solitude, but that too much alone time is unhealthy for the soul.

I believe in music. I believe in playing guitar—electric by day for energy and acoustic by night to settle down. I believe in painting to express, not to photocopy. I believe in hugs. I believe in doodling. I believe women can have both strength and femininity. I believe that mirrors may be deceiving because if you are okay with yourself on the inside not much else matters. I believe in a faith community that empowers its members to work for justice and encourages different ways of understanding spirit, humanity, and oneself. I believe in noticing and appreciating natural beauty. I believe in independence. I believe in cuddling with a significant other or with stuffed animals. I believe that the ones you love the most, you will hurt the most, and you should try to not let that happen.

I believe in examining my overall beliefs once in a while to ensure that I am following nothing blindly. I believe in always trying to be open to other views as well. I believe in the power of love to heal a broken person, a broken community, and a broken world. And I believe in my ability to help people, protect human rights, and work for equality and justice in the present and in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I believe I am very proud of you and what you believe in. Father's Day just started in D.C. Miss you. lyl, d

    ReplyDelete