Friday, June 18, 2010

DC wanderings with the parentals

So basically I had been psyching myself up for a really long time, since January really, to be in a city for two months that's completely new to me, and then I really didn't have to stress that much anymore! My dream for a while has been to do an internship in DC this summer to test out kind of what I'd like to do with my life (preferably some concoction of international relations, human rights issues, and foreign languages), and I ended up with the International Affairs track in a summer program at Georgetown called the Institute on Comparative Political and Economic Systems (part of the organization The Fund for American Studies (TFAS)). The deal is you take a couple classes at Georgetown and the program finds you an internship based on your skills and interests. So I'm currently waiting on government clearance to start my internship for the Peace Corps! But I was (I think understandably) a little nervous to pack the largest amount of luggage I've ever dealt with, travel by myself, and at least get myself to Georgetown where I'd meet the suitemates with whom I'd be sharing a Georgetown apartment until the end of July. But I ended up flying in and out of Reagan National Airport literally a week before the program started because I had a tennis tournament an hour away in Fredericksburg, Virginia, so after the tourney was done it turned into family vacation aka getting to know where I'd be for two months! Here are some photos from our explorations:


Lines around the corner for Georgetown Cupcake. Can't wait to try it!


Our sweet decor in the Georgetown hotel.


The apartment complex hosting the majority of the TFAS kids. Our apartment is quite cute! Spacious common area with a full kitchen and then dining/living room, a bathroom that unfortunately gets kinda cramped with more than two, and two doubles sandwiching a single.


The adorableness of DC homes.














And now I'm here in DC, loving the liberating feeling of figuring out public transportation in a snap, attempting to kick some butt in Comparative Economics, exploring with my suitemates on weekends, and getting antsy to start my internship!

1 comment: