Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A time-turner and a season-changer

The sun was still sleeping when our alarms told us we must arise. Julia and I had to be out of the door by 7:30 to ensure our international travel was all in order. We ran around the house taking care of last minute packing and breakfast as quietly as we could, but then the time came to say our goodbyes. We hugged Janet and wished her a happy birthday, ruffled Prince's fur one last time, and then Chris drove us to the airport. Traffic was a little worrisome, but we made it with plenty of time.

What was really too bad was that Julia and I could not get on the same flight back home - I booked my travels later than she did, so when I looked at her flight, it was way more expensive! Luckily her flight was only about 45 minutes later than mine so transport was not too complicated. And we had enough time for me to make sure she got checked in and then go through customs and security together. Those lines took a while, but at least the Sydney airport does a good job with orderliness.

Unfortunately we did not get to keep each other company on such a long flight home... Thank goodness for sleep and movies. (And hanging out over the summer in Minnesota!)

Airplanes, an amazing creation. In the reversal of the voyage here, returning to my home continent, they give my day back. How do I tell my calendar that my flight lands in Los Angeles three hours before it leaves Sydney, despite lasting for 14 hours? Even more exciting a prospect than gaining a day is going home for the imminent summer, rather than winter, solstice. And hopefully sunny weather!

I've been in Australia only a week, and urges to say "perhaps" instead of "maybe" and to pronounce the "h" at the front of "herb" may linger. Can't say I'll miss the incessant rain though. I really thought I had left that behind with the remnants of Minnesotan spring a few weeks ago. Hopefully I will have an opportunity to come back, see Chris and Janet and family again, and explore more of this beautiful country in a better season in the future!

Until my next travel adventure, thank you again to my readers, and take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment