Friday, September 10, 2010

北京欢迎我们(我希望)

Beijing is welcoming us! (I hope). It will be kind of hard to tell upon arrival because Beijing will be ready to go to bed, despite the fact that my body will still be acting in the effect of late morning Mingnisuda time.

In preparation for my departure, Mom snuck a photo as I was working on what hopefully serves to be a Carleton comfort for my fellow Dragon Riders (as our program director, Professor Zhao, aka Zhao Laoshi, affectionately calls us). One of the duties of Carleton Resident Assistants is to put up name signs with a funky theme on each of their resident's doors every term, so I thought it would be fun to continue that tradition with Carleton abroad. On each sign I painted the characters for Dragon Rider and the student's name, and then I wrote the pinyin for the name below (Englishified Chinese so we would all know how to pronounce people's Chinese names even if we didn't recognize the characters). Hopefully I didn't completely butcher the characters and these signs will suffice until we learn some real Chinese calligraphy!



The last few days I got to see a couple friends, run around the house with errands and packing, reach virtual Bananagrams insanity with the parentals, and chill out with some US Open tennis. And finally this morning, after packing the name signs and a few other last minute items, I was off! I got to share a car ride with my momma and then hang out at papa's office (a convenient five minutes from MSP) for a few hours so I wouldn't go stir crazy in the house waiting around for an evening flight first to Seattle en route to Beijing. Here's my luggage in all its wonderousness. Plane, bring it on!


I will try to post an update as soon as I can, xiexie kan wo de boke! (Thanks for reading my blog!)

No comments:

Post a Comment