Thursday, June 24, 2010

First day of work!

Finally got my government clearance a couple of days ago and started my internship at the Peace Corps today! It is an awesome feeling being able to take care of myself in a large city, figure out my way around, and take public transportation and walk everywhere. Even if it's already so hot at 8:30am that you're trying to avoid dripping, I love the fact that I can take a free Georgetown bus to Dupont Circle and walk like an actual young professional decked out (aside for the flip flops for actually making it to work - thankfully it's socially acceptable for women to wear comfy shoes to get themselves to the office and then switch to heels!) for 5 city blocks. And my boss's boss sent another intern and me on an errand today and asked, "Wait, are you ok with the city? Can you figure out how to get there?" And the other intern and I were both able to look at each other with the same amount of assurance that we can figure out the grid without a hassle - she comfortable with the city as an American University student, and I with usually infamously poor directional skills but at least an ability to figure out a grid from attempting to figure out Minneapolis the last couple of years. My work environment is so supportive and kind so far, everybody was so nice in meeting me, and people even commented, "We've heard a lot about you and we're so glad you're here!" That's scary to try to live up to! But I'll do my best!

And yes, like the good daughter I am, I took pictures for my parentals from my first day of work experience.

In the apartment, ready to head out on the 8:15 bus with two of my suitemates.



Alison and Ania on the bus, Ania still finishing her breakfast...


I really am lucky that I tend to adjust well to new situations - I love taking the bus to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment